Pigmentation is a skin condition where patches of the skin turn into a darker shade of colour due to excessive presence of melanin, found on skin surface. Melanin is a pigment that gives skin its colour. And it’s produced by skin cells called melanocytes. Several different conditions or factors can alter the production of melanin in the body.
A lot of women resort to using colour correctors, concealers, and a lot of bb or cc cream or foundation to cover up their uneven skin tone. While the condition isn’t harmful, it can be a symptom of an underlying medical issue and can cause your skin to look uneven and unhealthy.
There are several types of pigmentation:
- Melasma is believed to be triggered by higher levels of oestrogen caused by hormonal changes and develops during pregnancy. Areas of pigmentation can appear on any area of the body. They appear most commonly on the abdomen and face.
- Age spots or sunspotsoccur as a result of damage to the skin from the sun’s rays. Exposure to the sun’s rays and a daily onslaught of environmental elements, such as air pollution and the toxins in our food, all wreak havoc on our skin. These aggressors damage cell walls and connective tissues, resulting in the visible signs of ageing we all see in our skin. Skin can look dull and lack lustre, pigmentation and age spots start to appear and wrinkles become more prevalent. Generally, they appear as spots of hyperpigmentation on areas exposed to the sun, like the hands and face.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentationis a result of an injury to the skin. This can be caused by inappropriate use of skin care or burns.
At Prive, there are a few pigmentation treatments to help tackle this issue.
- Diamond Diva Facetherapy is a non-invasive approach to skin care. It is a superficial skin polishing treatment that gently exfoliates the epidermis layer and simultaneously vacuums up the loosened skin cells, pigmented areas will immediately appear lighter. The skin also responds to the treatment by speeding up cell turnover to replace the lost cells. This treatment also stimulates the production of collagen, causing the tone of the skin to appear more even.
- IPL Facetherapy, also known as photo-facial and photo rejuvenation is based on emitting high intensity pulse of light to penetrate the skin and enhance your skin with no downtime. The IPL treatment used at Prive Aesthetics is a medical grade therapy that stimulates new collagen to form in the skin thereby reducing superficial pigmentation, minimising pore size and reducing the appearance of uneven skin tone.
There are also oral supplements such as Crystal Tomato or topical retinoid that are effective in decreasing melanin production.
At Prive, we label our full set facials as “Facetherapy”. “Therapy” is a remedial treatment of a concern/condition, usually following a diagnosis and synonymous with treatment.
Hence our doctor-designed treatments are developed to help treat your skin concerns, partnering with you into the journey of seeking long-term, result-focused treatments. Our relationship with our customer starts off with a consultation to understand your skin concerns, and recommend the appropriate non-invasive, safe and result-driven treatment to treat those concerns and restore your beauty.
To know which treatment suits you best, make an appointment for a complimentary consultation today.